Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Everyone's Got Issues

Things are about to get personal.

My father has been an issue for me from a very young age.  I never felt his attention when I lived with him, and didn’t realize it wasn’t there until he moved 1700 miles away and started calling me all the time.

My mother is disappointed in his parenting, and not afraid to tell him.  My sister and I are also disappointed, but we know that telling him means wasting hours of our lives, only to have him do it again in a month.

The most recent example of this happens to center around birthdays that are forgotten, and Christmas presents never bought.  My parents were on the phone, because my father likes to call my mother once in a while to talk (I think he just misses her and likes the sound of her voice, even when she’s pissed at him).

She laid into him pretty hard about the fact that he didn’t call back during Christmas because he was too busy with his other family.  When he finally did call, he was more than happy to tell my sister and I all about how he spent almost $2,000 on Christmas this year…  We didn’t even get a call, let alone a card or gift.

So she tells him how upsetting it is, and he’s completely taken aback.  Like he never noticed that he hasn’t sent a Christmas present to his kids in 7 years, or remembered to call them on their birthdays…  So he asks, “what should I do”, to which my mother replies, “I would start by writing a check to each of your kids and mailing it out today.”

About a month ago, I got a check for $50.  I haven’t called him back since…

No comments:

Post a Comment