Friday, February 25, 2011

Halloween

It was Halloween.  I was 17.  We had a plan to rollerblade around my neighborhood and egg everyone we knew.  We were dressed in all black, with capes covering our backpacks.  We were the stealthiest ninjas on wheels.  They would never see us coming.  Except that my friend Bobby was riding my sisters’ pink scooter because he didn’t have rollerblades…

After making a run to the grocery store, we geared up, me, Bobby, Mike and Mike.

It was so much fun skating around the neighborhood, sneaking up on our friends.  We threw more eggs than we could count.  We were the gods of the night, unseen, unheard, until it was too late.  By the time you knew what was happening, you’re awesome costume that you spent 3 days making was covered in egg.

A couple of times, we stopped to talk to our friends, and we’d all kind of congregate on someone’s driveway or front yard.  

One of those times, the cops caught up to us.

We didn’t see them coming… ironically.

We were all scared of getting in trouble, so we did everything we were asked to do.  They made us show our ID, and we got pat-downs.  They had heard about a group of kids running around the neighborhood egging people.  “No Sir, we don’t have any eggs.  I think I saw those guys earlier, but they were going down Boldsling Road really fast so I didn’t get a good look at them.”

Suspiciously, the cop made me empty my pockets.  As he went through each item, he made a point to drop in on the ground afterward.  What a dick.

They told us to leave, go home, and that he didn’t want to see us again that night.

He missed my backpack, filled to the brim with cartons of eggs…

No comments:

Post a Comment